Saturday, October 22, 2011

Örebro, where the mushrooms grow and the people talk funny

Hej alla, ledsen att jag inte skrivit på några veckor!.... I think that's how you say it. :) Anyway I haven't written for a while because all have been pretty routine... school, work, still being in awe of sverige... standard things. However, this weekend we shook things up a bit at took to the rails and headed west to the raging metropolis of Örebro! Ok, exaggeration. If you haven't heard of it, I understand.. I didn't know about it till my friend Suzanne suggested going there... but I'm so glad that I did! Initially we wanted to take a road trip up to Sundsvall on the highway by the sea, but because I was the only one with a valid licence, I would have to drive, but seeing as automatic cars (damn it, america for spoiling me with automatics) are much more expensive, we couldn't really swing it. Instead we took a train to Örebro, which is one of the main cities of my nation, so it was so good to see a little part of what I represent. 

Örebro was so good! Although it was a pretty small town, Öykü, Suzanne and I found plenty to do to fill our day there. First, we made a beeline for the Ratthus (city hall) because our guidebooks promised a show of moving figurines from the clock as it strikes 12:05. Let me tell you, it was a life-changing experience. The 4 tiny undistinguishable figures going around in a circle just couldn’t be topped and we decided then and there that we weren’t going to see anything cooler and should just go home then and there. ;) Kidding. It was one of the most anticlimactic moments of my life which threw the three of us into laughing fits all day long about the wonders of the Örebro ratthus. After that, we headed to the Stadsträdgården which at one point was voted the most beautiful park in Sweden, which was something we all agreed. It was HUGE and had many flower gardens, play grounds, and a medieval village that we could wander around. There was also an art walk along the river with a couple really cool pieces. After hours exploring the park and taking the goofiest pictures, we wandered back into the city center and walked around the giant castle (Slott på Svenska). It was really cool to see because there is a huge painting of this castle in the Snerikes building, and it felt like a true Snerk seeing it, surrounded by a glittering moat under the bright autumn sun. Ah Sweden.
Anyway we were really hungry by this point, and found a cheap buffet place called Pacos where we had the pizza/pasta buffet (don’t ask… I don’t understand the logic behind the name either). It was so good to have a chance to totally fem out and talk about tampons and boys with some good friends. I realized that I hadn’t really had “girl time” for a while and it was so nice to indulge my estrogen levels. I strongly believe that you can be in the most spectacular place in the world, but if you’re with the wrong people, it’s not worth the trip. The same goes for this trip. There honestly isn’t that much to do in Örebro, but the girls made it one of the best days here in Sweden. Anyway… gushing. Moving on.
We were running out of things to do, and read in our book that Örebro is home to Sweden’s first mushroom water tower, and decided to hike to the outskirts of town and check it out. Turns out we could take an elevator to the top which provides a great view of the city. We stayed up there for a while, took some pictures, then came back into town. At this point we were starting to get really tired which is where the loopy random jokes started to surface, and honestly, I can’t tell you why Öykü pressing the traffic light button with her boob was so funny, but we couldn’t stop laughing about it for a solid 10 minutes. We killed the last hour in Örebro drinking (EXPENSIVE) beer at a sports pub and checking out the university boys who were regrettably engrossed in the hockey game  on the tvs. After that, 3 sleepy hours on a train, a chilly bike ride home, and crashing in my bed, my sides and cheeks sore from all the laughing I did that day.  


Pictures Soon! 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment