Right. We had an international bbq put on by the international committee of Uppsala (no they didn't bbq the international students... dad I knew you would jump on that one) which was so so fun. We all had little portable grills and bbq-ed little weenies and hamburgers and veggies and drank beers and had a chance to meet everyone else on exchange, plus the international committee members and other important people.
The next day, sunday, we took a trip to Åland, a Finnish island near(ish) Sweden where you and get a bus from Uppsala to the ferry, then a ferry to åland and then a ferry/bus back all for only 90 skr (about $14... what a steal!) On the ferry ride there, we terrorized the buffet as one would expect from a group of students from Germany/Czech/Spain/England/Greece/America and... well... Korea (but she still put it away as well). Germans amaze me.. I was two plated down and pretty finished, whereas the Germans were on 4 or 5 and still going strong. They are also the best coaches for eating. "Don't fill with bread, don't let yourself stop or you'll feel full..." they're geniuses. Anway we ate the Smörgasbörd which was a little bit of everything (pickled herring!!!) and then had adventure time in Åland. We didn't really have any plans of what to do once we were there, so we just walked along the beach. We found a "nice" swimming area where some brave people took a swim, and it was there that Danny the Spaniard found a giant paddle about 3 meters long. Oh and he loved that paddle. He loved it so much that he proceeded to drag it all over Åland, take it on the ferry, the bus, and finally on his bike back to Flogsta, which isn't a quick bike ride. Currently, the paddle lives in his corridor and comes out for parties, and it has it's own facebook account. It's basically a local celebrity at this point. Anyway we explored a "town" called Storby for a bit, if you blinked you missed it, and had some coffee and took some silly pictures. As we started heading back to the harbor, we had about 40 minutes to walk, a giant downpour came and we were soaked in about 2 minutes. It was insane. We showed up to the ferry soaking and dripping and so miserable. It was awful at the time but now makes for a very good story!
After that it was business as usual. Class in the morning, studying, nations and roof parties in the evening. We had a trip to Gamla Uppsala after class one day. Gamla means old, and it is the original place where Uppsala started in the Viking days. There is an open air museum there where we had a tour of old farming houses (during the winter, everyone lived in the kitchen, maybe 15 people plus the animals! all winter! incredible! and during the summer, everyone lived in different houses all spread out... too much together time!) and then we had craft time where we learned how to make fiber out of flax stalks and we made little angles with them. And then we had fika and played old viking games and walked on stilts (i did it!) and it was a lot of fun.
hummmm more socializing, nations, dancing, fika, class... lalalala then we went to STOCKHOLM! This was another class tour and it was so much fun! we saw the Vasa Warship that sank about a minute after setting sail and has been preserved in the Stockholm harbor until it was brought to shore in the 50's. Amazing. Then we went to Gamla Stan (there is that Gamla word again, and Stan means city) where there is the Castle and lots of touristy shops. There was a shirt there that says I <3 Swedish Boys that was all too tempting to buy... and then I was seriously concerned about myself that I actually wanted to buy it....
After Stockholm, my body finally started yelling at me and telling me to slow the hell down. I spent almost all day monday and tuesday in bed (i DID make it to class thank you very much) and my bike had a flat tire both those days, so both my bike and I took a few days off. But now I patched my bike (I can patch a bike now! I'm so hardcore!) and I feel a million times better and I'm ready to take on Uppsala again. I also went to the migration board which is the Swedish equivalent of the DMV and we had to wait there for about 2 hours to get our photos and fingerprints taken. But now I won't be deported, so It's worth it. :) I also met with my international coordinator and the head of the Informatics and Media department so i'm officially official, I'm registered, have my welcome pack, and told my coordinator that if i pass swedish one, then I want to sign up for Swedish two! Gah! It's so hard, but I want to learn it so bad!!
uh what else? I'm trying to post pictures but it's really difficult.... i'm probably doing something wrong.
So I'm just going to post this and then do a new post with pictures? I'm sure you all understand. :) Anyway I have to go.. tonight my friend Chris is making us Curry! and he's from Australia.... hrmmm....
lots of love!!
xxxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment